On this page you will find resources that don’t fit under our 5 major categories listed on the sidebar to the right, such as resources for elders to thrive in place. Some of these will eventually have their own websites independent of the Community Caring Collaborative.
Thriving in Place
Resources for Dementia & Brain Health
- Alzheimer’s Association website – lots of info on dementia
- Caregivers Guide to Understanding Dementia Behaviors – Family Caregiver Alliance – comprehensive guide that can be printed
- Dementia Care Dos & Don’ts: Dealing with Dementia Behavior Problems – by Sarah Stevenson on Senior Living Blog – A Place for Mom
- The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide – from the Foodie Blog of Culinary Schools.org
- Preparing Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide, Redfin
- Six Things Seniors Can Do To Improve Memory, by William Klemm, Ph.D., Pyschology Today
- 10 Easy Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Mental Health and Well-Being – Everyday Health Media, LLC
- Eating for Your Brain as a Senior, by Lisa Esposito, US News & World Report
Caregiving & Care Transitions
- Next Step in Care – family caregivers and health care professionals working together – comprehensive guide for caregivers
- Enhancing the Care Transitions Intervention Protocol to Better Address the Needs of Family Caregivers, Journal for Healthcare Quality, Eric A. Coleman et al
- Alternatives to Nursing Homes, The Atlantic, May 1, 2015
- Circle of Care: A Guidebook for Mental Health Caregivers, designed to guide unpaid friends, family, and neighbors who care for someone with a mental health condition – National Alliance for Caregiving. Circle of Care Guidebook – a pdf version.
Resources for Seniors
- Plan your Life Span – Northwestern University online tool to help seniors start thinking about issues they may likely face in the last years of life and prepare
- Mourning A Parent or Spouse’s Death – National Institute of Mental Health, Aging Care.com
- NIH Senior Health – National Institutes of Health webpage on “Falls and Older Adults”
- Maine Senior Guide – a comprehensive search engine of resources on home support, health & wellness, estate management and more.
- Mesothelioma Guide – free resource on this rare form of cancer that usually affects older adults in their 60’s and 70’s, specializing in connecting patients with doctors and treatment options that are best suited for them, including resources for Veterans.
Resources on Poverty & Elders
- Poverty Statistics Mask Economic Vulnerability of Seniors: A Comparison of Maine to the Nation, Carsey Research National Issue Brief #89, Summer 2015