Resources for Seniors & Caregivers
Resources for Dementia & Brain Health
- Alzheimer’s Association website – lots of info on dementia
- Caregivers Guide to Understanding Dementia Behaviors – Family Caregiver Alliance – comprehensive guide that can be printed
- Dementia Care Dos & Don’ts: Dealing with Dementia Behavior Problems – by Sarah Stevenson on Senior Living Blog – A Place for Mom
- The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide – from the Foodie Blog of Culinary Schools.org
- Preparing Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide, Redfin
- Six Things Seniors Can Do To Improve Memory, by William Klemm, Ph.D., Pyschology Today
- 10 Easy Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Mental Health and Well-Being – Everyday Health Media, LLC
- Eating for Your Brain as a Senior, by Lisa Esposito, US News & World Report
- The Definitive Guide to Stair Safety for a Person with Dementia – stair lift vendor article with helpful & practical suggestions for stair safety
- Differences Between Delirium, Dementia, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s – Caregiver Connection website: cheat sheet comparing these conditions with tips for caring & info on treatment
Caregiving & Care Transitions
- VA Caregiver Support Program – Supports for caregivers of veterans. See fact sheet and flyer.
- Caregiving in the US 2020 Report – published by the National Alliance for Caregiving (NAC) and AARP, this report is the most recent update to our trended research series, Caregiving in the U.S., conducted roughly every five years. The 2020 update reveals an increase in the number of family caregivers in the United States of 9.5 million from 2015 to 2020.
- Caregiver’s Guidebook from Novartis & National Alliance for Caregiving
- Maine Caregiver Resources Guide – AARP’s guide for caregivers including tips as well as state and national resources – in pdf format
- Next Step in Care – family caregivers and health care professionals working together – comprehensive guide for caregivers
- Enhancing the Care Transitions Intervention Protocol to Better Address the Needs of Family Caregivers, Journal for Healthcare Quality, Eric A. Coleman et al
- Alternatives to Nursing Homes, The Atlantic, May 1, 2015
- Circle of Care: A Guidebook for Mental Health Caregivers, designed to guide unpaid friends, family, and neighbors who care for someone with a mental health condition – National Alliance for Caregiving. Circle of Care Guidebook – a pdf version.
- Assisted Living Facilities in Washington County, Maine, SeniorGuidance.org – articles on senior living, locations of assisted living facilities, etc.
Resources for Seniors
- Mobility Loss Puts Older Adults at Risk: Research Shows Exercise Can Help — includes facts, statistics and instructions for exercises to help mobility, Baylor University, November 6, 2019
- Retirement Planning – Retirement Living.com provides articles to help plan retirement, including a retirement calculator, how to invest, best places to live, etc.
- Plan your Life Span – Northwestern University online tool to help seniors start thinking about issues they may likely face in the last years of life and prepare
- Mourning A Parent or Spouse’s Death – National Institute of Mental Health, Aging Care.com
- Prevent Falls and Fractures – National Institute on Aging
- Maine Senior Guide – a comprehensive search engine of resources on home support, health & wellness, estate management and more.
- Mesothelioma Guide – free resource on this rare form of cancer that usually affects older adults in their 60’s and 70’s, specializing in connecting patients with doctors and treatment options that are best suited for them, including resources for Veterans.
Resources on Vulnerability of Elders