Resources for Dementia & Brain Health
- Alzheimer’s Association website – lots of info on dementia
- Caregivers Guide to Understanding Dementia Behaviors – Family Caregiver Alliance – comprehensive guide that can be printed
- Dementia Care Dos & Don’ts: Dealing with Dementia Behavior Problems – by Sarah Stevenson on Senior Living Blog – A Place for Mom
- The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide – from the Foodie Blog of Culinary Schools.org
- Preparing Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s – A Caregiver’s Guide, Redfin
- Six Things Seniors Can Do To Improve Memory, by William Klemm, Ph.D., Pyschology Today
- 10 Easy Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Mental Health and Well-Being – Everyday Health Media, LLC
- Eating for Your Brain as a Senior, by Lisa Esposito, US News & World Report
- The Definitive Guide to Stair Safety for a Person with Dementia – stair lift vendor article with helpful & practical suggestions for stair safety
Caregiving & Care Transitions
- Next Step in Care – family caregivers and health care professionals working together – comprehensive guide for caregivers
- Enhancing the Care Transitions Intervention Protocol to Better Address the Needs of Family Caregivers, Journal for Healthcare Quality, Eric A. Coleman et al
- Alternatives to Nursing Homes, The Atlantic, May 1, 2015
- Circle of Care: A Guidebook for Mental Health Caregivers, designed to guide unpaid friends, family, and neighbors who care for someone with a mental health condition – National Alliance for Caregiving. Circle of Care Guidebook – a pdf version.
- Assisted Living Facilities in Washington County, Maine, SeniorGuidance.org – articles on senior living, locations of assisted living facilities, etc.
Resources for Seniors
- Plan your Life Span – Northwestern University online tool to help seniors start thinking about issues they may likely face in the last years of life and prepare
- Mourning A Parent or Spouse’s Death – National Institute of Mental Health, Aging Care.com
- Prevent Falls and Fractures – National Institute on Aging
- Maine Senior Guide – a comprehensive search engine of resources on home support, health & wellness, estate management and more.
- Mesothelioma Guide – free resource on this rare form of cancer that usually affects older adults in their 60’s and 70’s, specializing in connecting patients with doctors and treatment options that are best suited for them, including resources for Veterans.
Resources on Vulnerability of Elders
- Poverty Statistics Mask Economic Vulnerability of Seniors: A Comparison of Maine to the Nation, Carsey Research National Issue Brief #89, Summer 2015
- Charting a Pathway Forward: Redesigning and Realigning Supports and Services for Maine’s Older Adults – Prepared by the Muskie School of Public Service for the
Maine Health Access Foundation, September 2017, Eileen Griffin & Elizabeth Gattine
- Mental Health Challenges for Aging Americans – articles and data on depression and anxiety among aging Americans by the Georgetown School of Nursing
- Washington County Community Resource Guide: Comprehensive online guide from Maine Families of Washington County (print version for senior services available)
- Binder Project Resource Guide 2017: List of resources specific to seniors and caregivers created for the Binder Project by Healthy Acadia
- Down East Recovery Supports Guide: Recovery Support Services and Substance Use Treatment in the Down East Region – Comprehensive printable guide from Healthy Acadia