Educational opportunities for elders, caregivers and the people who work with them on topics relevant to Thriving in Place are listed below. As details for each event are finalized, links to a full description and registration will be provided.
- Aging My Way Community Fair – exhibits, demonstrations and guidance on planning your path to thriving in place, July 25th at the Reynolds Center, University of Maine Machias, 9 am to 3 pm.
- Savvy Caregiver Training – 12-hour training over 6 weeks on caring for a family member or friend with dementia, presented by Lisa King, LSW, on August 24, 31, September 7, 14, 21, 28 at the Maine Veterans’ Home in Machias, 2 to 4 pm
- Caregiver Basic Skills part 2: Responding as a Caregiver – 3.5 hour workshop presented by Rosemary Nevala, RN with Pamela Grant, CNA, on October 16, 2018, at Sunrise County Economic Council, 7 Ames Way, Machias, 9 am to 12:30 pm.
- Fraud Prevention Seminar: 3-hour panel presentation with Q & A. Panelists: Joseph Connors, Financial Coach with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau; Hilary Fernald, Downeast Senior Safety Net Attorney with Legal Services for the Elderly; and Jeanine Mallar-Heald, Financial Services Officer with Machias Savings Bank. October 30, 2018 at Kay Parker Building, Machias, 12 to 3 pm.
- Chronic Pain Self-management Class: 6-week class meeting on Thursday evenings co-facilitated by Angela Fochesato of Healthy Acadia and Tracy Parker, RN, from Community Health and Counseling Services, beginning November 1st and running through December 13th, in the Down East Community Hospital training room, 5:15 to 7:45 pm.
- Caregiver Basic Skills part 1: Physical Care – 4-hour workshop presented by Rosemary Nevala, RN with Pamela Grant, CNA on April 25 at Marshall Healthcare Facility in Machias, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- Estate Planning Basics – 3-hour seminar presented by estate planning attorney, Rebecca J. Sargent, Esq. of Jones, Kuriloff & Sargent, LLC, on
May 22 at the Kay Parker Building of Sunrise Opportunities in Machias, 1 pm to 4 pm
- Repair & Winterize My Home – informational session on repair & weatherization programs
September 26, 2017 in a Machias area location tba, 12 Noon to 3 pm
- Senior Safety Expo – personal medication review with a pharmacist plus a whole lot more
October 21, 2017 in the Multi-purpose room at the Maine Veterans Home in Machias, 9 am to Noon
- Physician Order for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) model training for medical providers, caregivers, clergy, hospice volunteers, and behavioral health counselors by Maine Hospice Counsel
October 6, 2017 at Calais Regional Hospital, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Financial Needs & Challenges for Seniors – an informational Q & A session for elders and their caregivers/families
March 29, 2017 in Science 102, University of Maine, Machias, 9 am to Noon
- Washington County Caregivers Conference for informal and family caregivers
April 28, 2017 at Washington County Community College, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm